International Cellars / Puppie McCloskey

March 16, 2013


Undurraga Aliwen Reserva Chardonnay

Vintage 2010 — $14.95
Chile, 70% Curicó Valley — 30% Maipo Valley

Varietal(s): 100% Chardonnay.

Vineyards and Winemaking: The harvest was done manually, and after undergoing a rigorous selection, the clusters were placed directly in modern pneumatic presses. Fermentation: The must, placed in stainless steel vats, was inoculated with selected yeast. Two days later, 60% of it was transferred to new french Oak barrels, where it fermented for 14 days. The wine remained in the barrels for four months, where it was subjected to permanent “battônages”. The other 40% of the must was left to ferment for 16 days, at temperatures ranging between 17°C and 19° C in order to extract the maximum varietal aromas and flavors. After bottling, it was stored in our cellars until it reached maturity.

Tasting Notes: This exciting wine has a full and ripe yet elegant nose. On the palate, it is rich and firm, notable for a bright acidity. It turns lush and opulent with deep fruit flavors that finish oaky and sweet.

Pairing Notes: This Chardonnay is a perfect complement to chicken salad or fresh grilled salmon.


Finca La Linda Viognier

Vintage 2011 — $13.95

Argentina, Mendoza

Varietal(s): 100% Viognier

Vineyards and Winemaking: 30 year old vineyards at 800 meter altitude. Selection of clusters, de-stemming and manual grape selection. Grapes are chilled and pressed in the pneumatic press during four hours. Decanted in tanks for 24-48 hours. Fermentation is conducted at a controlled temperature of 15°C with selected yeasts until the process is completed. Stabilized, lightly filtered and bottled.

Tasting notes: Exotic, clean and bright golden white wine. Well-defined aromatic notes of orchid, musk and ripe apricot.

Food Pairing: A perfect match for white meat, fish with sauces and soft cheese.


Taymente Malbec

Vintage 2011 — $14.95
Argentina, Mendoza

Varietal(s): 100% Malbec.

Vineyards and Winemaking: Huarpe’s vineyards are located in Agrelo, Luján de Cuyo, Mendoza. Altitude 960 meters over sea level. Controlled fermentation in stainless steel vats at temperatures bellow 25ºC, post-fermentative maceration, malolactic fermentation. Neither filtered nor treated with clarifiers. Aged in French and American oak barrels for six months.

Tasting Notes: Color is deep violet red. Aromas of red fruits and toasted nuts. Firm tannins that are soft and round.

Food Pairing: Meat, pasta and strong cheeses.


Huarpe Malbec Cabernet

Vintage 2009 — $ 21.95
Argentina, Mendoza

Varietal(s): Malbec (80%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (20%).

Vineyards and Winemaking: Huarpe's vineyards are located in Agrelo, Luján de Cuyo, Mendoza. Altitude 960 meters over sea level. Controlled fermentation in stainless steel vats at temperatures bellow 25ºC, post-fermentative maceration, malolactic fermentation. Neither filtered nor treated with clarifiers. Aged in new French and American oak barrels for twelve months.

Tasting Notes: Intense ruby color with violet tones. Wild cherries and a hint of spice and vanilla on the nose. Round, full-bodied, and nice balanced acidity.

Food Pairing: Red and game meat.


Luca Laborde Double Select Syrah

Vintage 2010 — $25.95
Argentina, Mendoza

Varietal(s): 100% Syrah

Vineyards and Winemaking: Average vineyard elevation 3500 feet. The 2010 Syrah Laborde Double Select was sourced from 48-year-old ungrafted vines and aged for 14 months in 50% new French barriques before bottling without fining or filtration.

Tasting Notes: Beautiful deep purple color. The nose is like walking into a gentlemen's poker parlor: aromas of cigar, leather, and smoked meat fill the nose with hints of toasty oak, forest floor and baking spice. Well-structured tannins support big fruit flavors of blackberry jam, black spiced cherries, ground black pepper and just a hint of rhubarb. Nice, lingering finish. L3—lush, long and loveable.

Food Pairing: Pairs well with grilled or smoked meats such as beef, pork and lamb, and dishes prepared with mild cheese or wild mushrooms.